Unique Leader Artist- Pillory Interview is up





1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since
the recording of the new album?

First off, it’s important to state that Pillory is currently only myself.  I have handled all duties on “Evolutionary Miscarriage”.  More on this later.
Since the recording of the album I’ve just been working on promotion, doing interviews and the filming of a video for the track “Imbeciles in Defiance”. I hope to have news on a release date for that very soon.  I’ve already began brainstorming and demo’ing ideas for the follow up record, but I’m not rushing things and don’t expect any news until 2016-17.



2.You  have a new album coming out in June, can you tell us a little bit
about the  musical direction of the new recording and also how does differ

from the stuff  you have released in the past?



This music on “Evolutionary Miscarriage” is certainly a continuation of the Pillory sound.  Even on the first record I tried thinking outside of the box when writing.  Having already created a full album in the past and since then written and demo’d numerous songs, I feel like the Pillory sound is much more definable in my head now.  The only rules really are to try and stay away from conventional ideas.  Of course there is going to be influence from all the genres of music that I listen to, but I don’t follow any formula or method for coming up with ideas.  “Evolutionary Miscarriage” is a concept album and I wanted the music to flow along with the lyrical concepts and dynamics of that concept.




3.The  band was broken up for a few years, what was the cause of the split
and also the  decision to reform?




The original form of Pillory is long gone.  The sound that I helped create however was something that I had always wanted to carry on.  I had so many more ideas and directions to go with it.  When the time was right for myself I decided to create a piece that represented that vision I once originally had back in 2005.  The passion and creativity I had back then was easy to find and has been flowing ever since I made the commitment to reinvigorate Pillory.




4.The  last album was released in 2005 and you have waited 9 years to
release the  follow up, other than the split what was the other cause of the gap

between  releases?



Back then Pillory was not a full time touring band.  I wanted to be on the road full time so I took opportunities that gave me that chance.  When the band decided to discontinue I waited for the right time to create another album.  While it may be a 9 year gap, I always knew that I would one day want to put together another Pillory release.  I had written most of the originally material on my own, so all that was left was to perfect the vocal styles for the album and then get to work.  I also tracked, engineered, mixed and mastered “Evolutionary Miscarriage” at my personal studio “House of Grind Studio” from 2012-2013.

5.What  are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with

the newer  music?



Pillory has always been about the exploration of the human race.  We have many faults, and treat each other worse than most other animals on this planet treat each other.  “Evolutionary Miscarriage” is based on a fictional story that covers subjects like hate, discrimination, and our total intolerance for anything or any body that may be different.  I think Pillory is about brutal honesty and expressing the feelings that we have about ourselves that we all know exist but maybe don’t want to say out loud.



The story specifically is about a population of the human race that for an unknown reasons begins to have abortions and lose the ability to birth a child.  This creates outrage as another group of people that feel that if you’re unable to birth then you represent a sign of the possible end of the human race.
These people unable to reproduce are discriminated against and turned into the enemy. This leads to civil war across the planet and ultimately to their total execution.  As human’s we fear whatever we think may be trying to stop what we believe is in our best interest.  This leads to hatred and violence.  It begs the question of whether or not losing the ability to birth a child is de-evolution or simply natures planned evolution for our race. Erase us before we erase it.




6.What  is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Pillory'?




By definition “The pillory was a device made of a wooden or metal framework erected on a post, with holes for securing the head and hands, formerly used for punishment by public humiliation and often further physical abuse”.  

A device like a pillory embodies the human race.  It is simple, brutal and was used to humiliated who the people in power deemed unjust.  We’re always looking for ways to punish and tell people what is right and wrong.  A pillory represents all of these things in a very primitive way.



7.What  are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years
and also how  would you describe your stage performance?




It has been quite a long time since I had performed with Pillory as a group.  I personally have toured and played many shows with bands over the years.  I always take pride in my performances and want to play and entertain the crowd that has paid to come see whatever group I’m playing with.  Pillory’s music from a live perspective can create a lot of energy.  Whatever musicians are performing the music should expect to give that energy to the crowd and in turn take back energy that the crowd is giving.   


8.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?



There are no plans to tour or play shows at this time.  It’s possible in the future if I decided to recruit live musicians.  Right now I’m just enjoying having Pillory as a solo project and as a great outlet to express my musical thoughts and ideas.




9.What  is going on with the other musical projects these days that some of
the band  members are involved with?




I stay busy and am typically part of at least 1 or 2 albums per year.  Most recently, there is a release date coming up for the band Eschaton’s new album.  I drummed on the record, help write some of the music, engineered and co-produced the record as well.  Expect to hear some news soon regarding them.  

I’m also currently working with the death metal band Incinerate for a 2015 release.  We’re finishing up the pre-production now and I expect to be tracking in the studio sometime in November 2014.  There is another extreme released that I’m lined up to work on as well once that one is complete.  




10.Where  do you see the band heading into musically during the future?




“Evolutionary Miscarriage” was a huge step up for Pillory musically. With new material I expect to take another step forward.  I will continue to put out albums as one whole concept, with the music and lyrics tied together throughout the entire listening experience of the album.  



I’m always improving as a composer.  Even after having been writing music for so long you can always improve and I see myself opening up musically even more for the next release.  I intend to take my guitar playing to another level and continue to push my writing abilities on the drums.  I already have a lyrical concept for the album but cannot reveal it at this time.
I also expect to give a bigger role to the two musicians that contributed soundscapes, samples and orchestral compositions on “Evolutionary Miscarriage”.




11.What  are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence
on your music  and also what are you listening to nowadays?




When originally getting into extreme metal I spent a lot of time studying specific bands.  I wanted to learn everything about their sound and the specifics of what made them sound the way they do.  Bands like Nile, Origin, Krisiun, Dying Fetus and Dimmu Borgir were huge influences on my initial drumming.  I feel that I needed to learn about these bands before I could branch out and start creating these types of sounds for myself.  

That was well over 10 years ago and I have not looked back since.  I’ve gotten into all types of extreme metal since then.  From bands like Dark Funeral and Marduk to less extreme bands like Fear Factory and Pro-Pain.  I even really enjoy a band like Dream Theater for their creative sound and songwriting abilities.    

There aren’t really any newer bands that I have taken to specifically but I’m open to listening to any quality extreme metal band as I’m sure I can get something out of it and will enjoy it.



12.What  are some of your non musical interests?




Outside of music, I have a great family that I spend lots of time with.  I also devote a good amount of time to my personal fitness which I think does help me with my musical performance.  I love outdoor activities and sports and enjoying watching live sports on tv or attending a live sporting event.  When I have the time I’ll catch a movie or play some video games, but sometimes it’s hard to find the time for that.




13.Before  we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or
thoughts?




I want to thank the fans of Pillory out there for supporting this new record and all the music I have been involved in over the years.  I’m always looking for the next session work, whether it be drumming, song writing, producing or mixing, so please feel free to contact me .

Lastly I enjoyed doing this interview and appreciate having the opportunity to tell you a bit more about Pillory and about myself.  

Look for the new Pillory video for the track “Imbeciles in Defiance”.  Follow Pillory on facebook and keep up with me on facebook and youtube.  Thank You!


https://www.youtube.com/user/Blastfest03
https://www.facebook.com/darren.cesca
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pillory/662486047144743

Comments