Malignant Artist- The Vomit Arsonist




1. FOR MY READERS NEW TO THE VOMIT ARSONIST TELL THEM A BIT HOW YOUR DEATH INDUSTRIAL SOUND CAME TO BE?


The project started in the early 2000's, and it was essentially just harsh noise.  Eventually I started incorporating more vocals into my work, but it was more like the vocals were being used for texture and as a sound source rather than being "real" vocals... I took a lot of influence from MASONNA with that approach.  Over the years, my taste for certain kinds of industrial and harsh music expanded, particularly to the EU death industrial and power electronics sound.  I ended up getting more gear over time, I learned how to use different programs for recording, sequencing, programming, etc.. basically taught myself how to do what I wanted to do.  There were sounds that I'd hear in my head, and I just had to find out what I needed to do to get them out.  I like to think that I'm a little outside the realm of "death industrial" -- although the influence is undeniably there.  But I also still try and incorporate power electronics, and, on occasion, harsh noise elements.. Particularly in a live setting.  


2. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN TAPE LABEL CORRECT .THIS SEEMS A GREAT UNDERGROUND MEDIA STILL FOR NOISE AND DARKER INDUSTRIAL MUSIC .WHY DO YOU THINK TAPES ARE STILL SO POPULAR?


Yeah, Danvers State Recordings.  I can tell you why I was drawn to it, and that's because it was a cheap way to get my music out there.  I could have done CD-r's, which likely would have been easier and less expensive, but personally, and I mean no offense to labels that deal in CD-r's, I think they're cheap unless they're "pro" discs or have a really interesting presentation or something.  That said, people are still into tapes.  A lot.  I'm not sure why, really.  Maybe it's kind of like the resurgence of vinyl, which is seemingly no longer limited to "the underground."  I think a lot of the industrial/noise/PE stuff just sounds so much better on cassette than CD, or even vinyl, in certain cases.  Something about the tape hiss, the warble-sound you always get at the very beginning or end of a tape..  I'm drawn to it.  It's a pleasant sound to me.  Maybe because the vast majority of my childhood was spent in my room listening to cassettes?  I have no idea.      


3. HOW DID YOU COME TO WORK WITH MALIGNANT THE PREMIERE INDUSTRIAL LABEL IN THE US?


I've been speaking with Jason Mantis for a number of years now; Malignant has placed distro orders for Danvers State titles pretty much from the beginning, so we had a "working relationship" due to that.  I put out a batch of tapes earlier this year, around April, I think, and he ended up writing me an email that essentially said "So, I suppose it's about time we talk about getting you a CD on Malignant..."  and man, I was fucking floored when I read that.  He'd written me previously and told me how much he liked the "Go Without" album, which I was pleased to hear.  But when he offered me an album..  I knew I had to step it up and give 150% of myself to it.  Since I learned about Malignant Records years and years ago, I've wanted to work with Jason.  Call it a dream, a goal, whatever, but I'm beyond thrilled to have been given this opportunity.  Looking at the roster of past, present and future artists on the label, I'm in the best company I could possibly be in.  Some of my favorite industrial acts and biggest influences are Malignant artists.  I consider it an extreme honor and a privilege to share a home with them.  Jason's reputation for releasing only the best industrial, dark ambient and power electronics is second to none.  If it's on Malignant, it's worth owning.  Some people might argue with me, but that's how I see it.


4. THE NEW ENGLAND NOISE, POWER ELECTRONICS AND INDUSTRIAL SCENE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A THRIVING ONE WITH LABELS LIKE RRR, FORCE OF NATURE, TRUCULENT AND SELF ABUSE  TO NAME A FEW. WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS AND DOES IT CONTINUE TODAY?


Personally, I think things are dying down a bit.  At least in my corner of New England.  I'm just outside of Providence, RI, and when I moved here about 9 years ago, things were a lot different.  The industrial and noise scene was half the reason I moved here.  Labels and shows were still thriving with really, really good artists...  but a lot of those artists have either moved out of New England, moved on to other projects or just stopped altogether.  There also used to be no shortage of places to have shows, mostly abandoned warehouses and/or punk squat houses, but the vast majority of those have been bought up by people wanting to develop luxury condos and shit.  As an aside, if you saw the neighborhoods that these places were in, you'd quickly realize that no luxury condo buying yuppie in their right mind would ever want to live there.  You can make the building as nice as you want, but you still might get robbed when checking your mailbox.  Moving on..  Boston is really where it's at for me.  Although I'm not a Boston act, I sort of consider it my home as far as my music is concerned.  It's the city I perform in most often, and it has an increasingly growing scene of incredible acts full of really great people.  COREPHALLISM, XIPHOID DEMENTIA, BITCHNECK, CORPUSCLE (RIP), SHARPWAIST, SEWER GODDESS, ZERFALLT, and a whole host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.  In my opinion, most of the best Boston shows are curated by Egan Budd (XIPHOID DEMENTIA, Extistence Establishment) -- Egan does great work, treats his bands well, and he's a stand up guy on top of it.  But why does stuff like this continue?  Well, the entire city of Boston is full of miserable, angry and pissed off people.  It only makes sense that this kind of music would come from an environment like that.   


5.ANDY YOU PLAY OR PLAYED IN SEVERAL OTHER PROJECT IF YOU WOULD TELL US A BIT ABOUT THEM.


I'll do this in the form of a list, it's easier that way...


BEREFT - two man death industrial/power electronics act, myself and Peter Lee (ex-Force of Nature) ... the only band I perform with that might be considered to have a political message.  Take that to mean whatever you'd like..  everyone else seems to.


WHITE LOAD - hardcore punk band I play drums in.  It's sloppy and awful.  Live performances last around 8 minutes.  We usually don't make it through a song without fucking up something horribly-- and there's usually less than a minute of actual song to get through.  We're usually very drunk.  We're big on setting off fireworks indoors and being a general pain in the ass to the audience.  We've played a lot of places and been asked to never come back.  We played in Brooklyn once and our singer grabbed my ride cymbal and hurled it like a discus into the crowd, nearly taking off someone's fucking head.  We were asked to leave the property as soon as we were done packing our gear.  We don't really play shows in our home town anymore unless we book them ourselves, because most promoters know us and don't want us to play for fear that we might do something stupid.  And those promoters are probably right in making that assumption.


THE WOLFBANE BLUES - blues/rock/outlaw country band I play bass in.  Probably the most fun I've ever had playing music, because it's really fucking laid back.  We practice once a week, play a gig every month or two, and that's about it.  No stress.  The most stressful thing we did was record and release an album earlier this year.  That came out in July.  The best part, for me, is that it's a style of music I've always enjoyed but never been a part of. 


NAU-ZEE-AUN - an ever morphing, constantly evolving industrial/multimedia project I play in, with Deftly-D (ABSTINENCE, ZERO TIMES INFINITY, TERRORFAKT, etc.) at the helm.  It's a combination of all different styles of experimental music, with influences ranging from acts like MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO and PUBLIC ENEMY to MASONNA and PRURIENT.  We don't play or rehearse nearly as much as we should, but we all live in different areas of New England, we all have day jobs, and our drummer and his wife recently had a baby, so it's tough to get together.  We're the first band that I know of, at least on a local/underground scale, to incorporate 3D video projection and 3D video samples into our live show. 


6. IS THERE A THEME OR STORY LINE BEHIND AN OCCASION FOR DEATH?


Not really a story, but there's a theme, no doubt about that.  It's heavily influenced by the writings of Romanian born philosopher Emil Cioran, who's quotes and prose I included in the liner notes of the album.  In short, the theme of the album, the message that I tried to portray, is that human existence is like some grand, absurd joke.  I mean, think about it-- most people wake up every day and do the same thing, they go to work, they come home, they eat, they might do something fun on the weekends...  they do that for 40 or 50 years and then they die.  And that's what we all do.  Is that really what life's about?  Obviously it's not that simple, I know, and admittedly, it's kind of a closed minded world view.  I know your life is what you make of it, you have the power to change the things you don't like, things like that.  And all that's true.  But think about all the amazing things you've done, or would like to do, and all the lives you've touched and all the people you've loved and everything like that, think about all the good...  and think about how unimportant all of it is in the grand scheme of things.  Most of us will leave zero mark on society.  Most of us won't be remembered centuries down the line.  Almost everything we do is, ultimately, pointless.  It's got a point at the time, sure.  But at the end of the day, it doesn't mean shit.  When you feel like you're at your wits end, when you want to hang it up because you can't handle the absurdity and utter monotony of your life, you should probably go out and change something.  And you probably will, and it'll likely make you happy or feel fulfilled or improve your life in some way for a while.  But at some point, those good feelings will fade.  Maybe you can hang on to them,  Maybe you find something else to fulfill you, maybe not.  But at the end of your life, after you've lived to the fullest, you've loved as much as possible and done amazing things that you'd only ever dreamt of... what are you left with?  Nothing.  Nothing any of us have ever said or done will be worth fuckall in the grand scheme of the universe.  The album is about how after all is said and done, we're all left with nothing.  Always.  It's about the beginning and end of life, of existence, and all the pointlessness in between.  The monotony of daily life.  You have people you love that love you, a family, friends, you're comfortable... but you can't take it with you, as the saying goes.


7. OVER MANY RELEASE IVE HEARD ANDY THE VOMIT ARSONIST SEEMS TO MOVED IN A MORE IN SLAUGHTER NATIVE VIBE  FROM A FULL ON HARSH NOISE AND POWERELECTRONICS IDEAL. IS IT JUST GROWTH, BETTER GEAR OR A MORE EXPERIMENTAL IDEAL?


It's a little of everything, really.  Like I said, I started out with very minimal equipment, and I had to work with what I had at my disposal, which wasn't very much.  Over time I figured out what I wanted to do, got more gear, and honed my craft.  On top of that, about 6 years ago I started writing lyrics that were more personal and direct than anything I'd ever done, and that continues to this day, so I needed the music to reflect that.  It's important to me that the overall package fits together.  It needs to make sense.     


8. WILL THE VOMIT ARSONIST BE TOURING OR WILL IT BE MORE JUST LOCAL PERFORMANCES?


I would love to tour again.  In 2010, I ended up touring from Rhode Island to Milwaukee, WI and back, and it was great.  9 shows in 10 days.  I really loved it.  But it seems like it's out of the realm of possibility for a little while, at least doing it on my own and self-financing everything.  Plus, you know, real life always ends up getting in the way of the things you actually want to do.  Obviously I'd kill to tour Europe or the UK, or even just do a couple shows over there...  but that's a dream that seems like a long way off.  I'll be sticking with Providence, Boston and New York for the time being... unless something else really interesting comes along.  


9. IF THERE WAS ONE TRACK FROM ANY ARTIST YOU COULD COVER AND DO JUSTICE TO , WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?


This is a great question, and a tough one to answer.  I really like doing covers, and I've done a few in the past, mostly for compilations-- two ATRAX MORGUE songs, "Try Me" and "Myself As a Corpse", I've done a SWANS cover ("Mother, My Body Disgusts Me") that was supposed to be released on a comp but never ended up coming out (which is just as well, listening back on it, I'm not at all happy with my version of the song, although I've yet to re-record it), a cover of "USA For USA" by CARNIVORE, "Ooh What A Feeling" by BRAINBOMBS, and two AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED songs ("The Withering of Skin" and "Acute Awareness (For Wood)") for the first Audio Assault online comp released by Compulsive Masturbation Productions.  As far as a song I'd like to cover and do justice to...  Probably something off TYPE O NEGATIVE's "Slow, Deep and Hard" LP, one of my favorite albums ever, and definitely by favorite from ToN.  Years ago, I actually finished a cover of "Unsuccessfully Coping With the Natural Beauty of Infidelity" from the aforementioned LP, and while I don't think it's awful, it's not very good, and no one's ever heard it but me.  The lyrics were what made me want to cover it.  If you know the song, you know what it's about, and I was in a very similar situation personally and emotionally, so it seemed perfect.  Even though things are different now, I'd still like to revisit one that some time.  It's just a goddamn good song.  Maybe something by EYEHATEGOD, too...  "I Am The Gestapo," maybe.  That's a great fucking song, and Mike IX's lyrics are perfect for the type of music I create, I think..


10. WHERE DO YOU SEE THE VOMIT ARSONIST SOUND HEADING IN FUTURE RELEASES?


I don't want to say "more of the same," because I'll eventually get bored with that.  I'm not at all afraid of experimentation, and I've briefly considered adding more members for live performances..  making it more like a band than a solo performance.  But, I'm really picky and kind of a perfectionist, and although I've never had anyone say this to me, I fear that I'm too much of a control freak to work with other people, especially with material that's so personal to me.  I like to think that I sort of naturally evolve from album to album, and to be honest, it's not really a conscious effort.  I'll usually take some time off, so to speak, between recording sessions... Since I completed "An Occasion For Death," I think I've recorded the basic tracks for one new song, maybe two.  But in taking that time away from writing and recording, different things happen in my life, both good and bad, and something usually gives me the inspiration to get into the studio and start working again...  and that's usually when something's different.  Whether I find a new sound with some gear, or just take a different approach to writing, whatever it is, I think that's how I keep changing things up while still retaining "my sound."  That's one of the few things I pride myself on; when you hear one of my recordings, it may sound different or have a different approach than what you've heard previously, but it's still sounds like The Vomit Arsonist. 


11. WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO ANDY ANYTHING OUT THERE MUSICALLY REALLY IMPRESSING YOU?


TREPANERINGSRITUALEN's "The Totality of Death" (2 CD's on Malignant and Silken Tofu) is absolutely brilliant work.  Due to the limited nature of his releases, and the rate at which people snatched them up, I wasn't as familiar with his work as I'd have liked, but I was able to score these two discs and they're just brutal.  Beyond that, a lot of stuff that I've released on Danvers State... ANEMONE TUBE, N., :m:, CORPUSCLE, EN NIHIL .. and of course, the old favorites like THEOLOGIAN, STEELHOOK PROSTHESES, IRM, DEATH SQUAD (those reissues on Autarkeia were brilliant) GNAWED (Grant's work with GNAWED is absolutely mind-blowing, and he gets better with every release), MURDEROUS VISION, NYODENE D, U/731...  the list goes on.  Beyond industrial music, I've been listening to a lot of Alan Lomax recordings, old blues and folk stuff from the 1930's era south... some real old, obscure and raw country music...  THE CRAMPS... and metal.  Mostly doom/sludge stuff.  SLEEP's "Holy Mountain" and "Dopesmoker" LP's are records I'll listen to pretty much every day when it's Summer time...


12. FOR PROJECTS OUT THERE STARTING OUT WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET YOU ART OUT THERE DIGITAL MEDIA, YOU TUBE, LIVE SHOWS WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?


I'd love to take the "underground" approach and say that people should just get out there, play as many shows as they can in as many places as possible, record your shit, give it away, sell it, do whatever you have to do to get it in peoples hands...   and while I believe that that's the way to go, it's obviously so much easier just to put a song on Youtube or Bandcamp or whatever, and that seems to be how it's going now.  I find it funny that the concept of a band recording a demo is so uninvolved, compared to what it was only a few years ago ...  record it into your computer, upload it, done.  You now have a demo that literally every person with an internet connection can hear.  It doesn't seem like all that long ago that you had to make a tape (or, later, burn a CD-R) and physically hand it to someone and hope that they listened to it.  It's almost too easy now.  My thoughts and biases aside, people should do whatever they can to expose the world to their music.  


13. ARE YOU FAN OF THE DIGITAL AGE OR DO YOU FEEL IT  OVER LOADS THE WORLD WITH SUBPAR SOUNDS?


It makes things a lot easier, I will say that.  But, because things are easier, there's very little quality control.  Anyone with Garageband or Audacity can record some cheap shit and call it an album.  And that's fine, I'm all for people doing what they want, if it sucks, I don't have to listen to it.  With that said, I do personally take advantage of the ease of it-- you can get some of my releases on Bandcamp, or watch live performances or "music videos" (for lack of a better term) on Youtube ... I guess it's a good thing, because I believe you should put yourself out there as much as possible, and use every tool at your disposal when doing so.  The only "digital age" thing I really don't understand is people buying digital albums.  That's one I really don't get.  I'm not against it, far from it-- I just don't quite understand paying money for a downloaded file... One that, technically, isn't even yours. You don't buy the MP3, you buy the rights to listen to it.  That's fucking bullshit, if you ask me.  I've still got a massive collection of CD's, vinyl and cassettes, and I don't see myself stopping that any time soon.  Getting that whole package, the double gatefold LP sleeve or the digipack CD or the cassette that's wrapped in razor wire or whatever and you gotta slice your fucking hands open to listen to the thing...  that's why I prefer the physical over the digital.  Plus, a lot of these releases are works of art in and of themselves.  They look good on a shelf.  I like that.


14. THANKS FOR THE TIME TO SPEAK ANY CLOSING THOUGHTS HERE


Thanks for taking the time to write up this interview.  I appreciate it.  Obligatory website plugs:


Comments