6 New Reviews 7/7/2013



Brutus- Behind the Mountains-CD/Digital (Svart)

Ok Svart so you did it with Brutus you made an album I just fucking hate it's over the top 60/70's Fuzzed Stoner rock. This happened with me on Dorian's label Rise Above as well. This is just way too trippy and hippy in sound. I'm going to make this very short and sweet. I could not make it past the second track. The Bell bottom reign supreme here .. Get me the hell out of here.

http://svartrecords.com/


Goatess- S/t-CD/ Digital (Svart)

See now where Brutus failed on every level Goatess is winning with me. Svart you have night and day releases here this comes more from the Blue Cheer, Monster Magnet and St Vitus world of music. Its much darker, downtuned and and the vocals are more of a classic metal vibe going on Goatess is heavy as all going down. The bass lines and drums so rule on this Self titled release. They also have that total Trouble worship going on that I'm a huge sucker for. Dio would raise his horns in the after life for Goatess . The slow tempo just makes it all the more special in tone and talent. This is early Doom at it's best. Cathedral is other band that Goatess took from and I mean the amazing early Cathedral stuff folks not the groovy mid period tripe. Goatess must have a kick ass live show and I hope to some day see this..

http://svartrecords.com/


Venomous Maximus- Beg upon the light-CD/ Digital (Napalm Records)

I'm sure I'm going way off left field with this but Venomous Maximus reminds me of two very different sound that work very well together. So image you had he music of Mercyful Fate and the British wave of heavy metal sound mix elements of bands like Led Zeppelin and Mastadon . Yes this what I hear also Slough Feg is something that is very close. I like the classic metal mixed with the Doom and Bluesy Hardrock . Venomous Maximus is similar to some but always really all their own. I love the vocals as they are so epic and sung to what seems to be a crowd at all times. There are Death and Black metal elements but they are just that a flavor of it all. Beg upon the light is really a stellar release and I do look forward to hearing more.


http://napalmrecords.com/


Kave- Dismal Radiance-CD/ Digital ( Eibon Records)

What can you say about a release like Kave that is not already been said about other amazing Dark Occult Ambient project. I think the greatest respect is saying that Yen Pox and Kerovnian are direct reflections on what they create. This is the soundtrack to the beginning of new worlds after the old one has been destroyed centuries before. The haunting and uplifting sounds all at once are more then some people will be able to understand. I would also say that Vidna Obmana plays a large role into Kave's sound as well. I love this music on a cold winters night with the candles lite just reflection on the year that has gone by. Eibon is a label that just has a way of making their artist shine in all that they do. Kave is just a stellar project with a release that years from know will be reflected on with great pride and respect.

http://eibonrecords.com/


Circle of Silence- The Rise of Resistance-CD/ Digital ( Massacre)

Power Metal, Thrash and just good old heavy metal with talent and conviction is what Circle of Silence is my friends. If you like Blind Guardian  Judas Priest, Sanctuary and Iced Earth then his is a must own as this is a mix of all thing you love my metal masses. Vocals are a massive as epic and the backing vocals and effects make this even a bigger sounding and top notch professional release. The harmony guitars and warm bass line just make the album with those wall of drums that every great metal band has. If this band was around 20 yrs ago they would be ruling the charts. This is what packed arenas then. I so pleased to hear a 21st century band make an old sound so fresh and new again. Circle of Silence if you continue like this you have a career long fan..  

http://massacre-records.com/


Necronomicon- Rise of the Elder Ones-CD / Digital ( Season of Mist)

Symphonic mix of Death and Black metal I almost want to say if Dimmu Borgir and Hypocrisy created a band together and had some help from members of Bolt thrower for the more down tempo feeling that are coming across. This is a majestic sound release with an almost industrial and very modern tech death metal approach to all that is being arranged here.  The more I listening to Necronomicon the more I get the kinship to bands like Old Mans Child and Rotting Christ as well. I love the over the top symphonic elements that ebb and flow through out the release. Season of Mist have a monster of a release here and the shear complexity of it all is just a wonderful addition to the over all album. This is how extreme metal should be. Interesting and Captivating ...

http://season-of-mist.com/





Comments