Dont tell me I dont give to my readers 7 new reviews!!!!

<br />Head of the Demon - Head of the Demon

Head of the Demon- S/T- CD ( ANJA OFFENSIVE)

I will say most of the material that comes out of the Northwest label ANJA OFFENSIVE is very occult or ritualistic and and with Head of the demon we are no less so. What I hear is a mix of Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost mixed with Ras Algethi or Dolorian in the way its presented to us. Classic Black Death with elements of Black Doom and Heathen Metal all in one big swirl. With Head of the Demon there is a very 60/70's Soundtrack element going on as well. I almost feel that this could be a soundtrack to a very underground occult film or propaganda piece. Head of the Demon sound very close to many bands in the underground but always keep there own stylistic side that you could never call them a clone. Something Wicked this way comes and its name is Head of the Demon so be warned. At times there are very Prog Metal and Thrash metal movements going on as well. ANJA you have a very captivating release going on here to say the least and will look for more in future for sure.




NUDE- PLASTIC PLANET-CD ( My Kingdom Music)

I just want to start this review out with that I think this album threw me for a total loop at 1st I really questioned if I loved or hated this and it took 3 listens but NUDE have fully won me over. This  Goth, Cold Wave and Hardrock all equally arranged and produced. If you Like Canaan, Joy Divison, Tiamat and Sisters of Mercy this band will be perfection to you. They have a strong love for Love and Rockets as well but that is where I'm going to go into a bit of the album. Nude love that Alt/ New Wave vocal and guitar sound then when the solos or chorus moments come full on Gothic Hard rock comes out in that Sisters of Mercy or Love and Rockets  way we all know who have going to any goth show in the 90's. If you are into labels like Projekt or 4AD then you know were this band is coming from. I would even say there are moments of Lush and Curve in the music arrangements going on here. Plastic Planet has very melodic vocals that are done so well to fit the ethereal vibe of the tracks as well.  NUDE will win over a lot of people if they just give them a chance as there are some very synth pop elements over the heavier goth rock tones.  Check it out you will find a few songs that you connect with for sure.



DPERD- KORE-CD ( My Kingdom Music)

OK so I was not wrong here. My Kingdom has become the new Projekt or 4AD as this album from DPERD is full on Darkwave music with no abandon or shane if you like The Cocteau Twins , Lisa Gerrard, Mira or Lycia then this is the album of year for you. Lush Female sultry vocals, Somber music that becomes classical and epic at time with a drummer that old make any Jazz group so proud. Love the reverbed out guitars and very warm bass sounds mixed into all the songs as well as the delicate piano movements. There must be a big movement in Italy for this 80/90's Cold wave/ Darkwave sound as I hear a lot of bands there using it as accents and backdrops to there bands.  I'm so glad I got to hear DPERD as this is a great rememberance to a time in my younger days when I found out that all music didnt need to be full on metal or noise to have power and the it factor for me. 

http://www.mykingdommusic.net/


STILLA- Till Stilla Falla-CD ( Nordvis )

Post Black metal is no longer a term it is a way of life for many . With STILLA is a bit different . They really want to keep that old school cold Nordic Black metal sound but like to add  Synths, Strings and acoustics to the mix so its almost like they are paying tribute to bands like like Kvist, Burzum and Darkthrone while seeing the beauty in bands like Virus, Manes, Ulver and DHG all at the sames time STILLA is on a Crossroads as I would call it and it works so well. Till Stilla Falla is as grim and melodic and symphonic and it is primitive in the way they summon the darkness into there very tools of sonic mastery. There is even a huge love for Bathory and Celtic Frost going on here and for one I will never be upset with some Viking / Folk Metal moments mixed with Black Doom... STILLA is a complex mistress to begin with . I know this will be a musical overload to some but for those in the same mindset for music as this reviewer a haunting bliss awaits thee!!!!

http://www.nordvis.com/



Devourment- Conceived in Sewage-CD ( Relapse Records)

We all know by now how all over the place the styles of music that are reviewed at AZM.. Welcome to Death Gore Metal edition with Devourment. Hell ya is all I really have to say at from time to time just need a kickass balls to the wall Death metal album to thrash out all my aggression's of the week and with this slab of wonder I get that and more.  Full on that is what this is full on wall of Blistering guitars, bass , drums and guttural vocals. What else do you need from a band like this NOTHING I tell ya NOTHING!!!!!. Relapse for years have been giving us amazing Death metal  Deceased, Incantation, Skinless, Nile, Dying Fetus etc. Well its time to add a new name to the list and they are Devourment. The production on this is so bass heavy it reminds me of the best Incantation stuff and they go that slow doomy mix into the chaos as well .. Relapse you have a major force work with again do not let them go into the oblivion!!!!

http://relapse.com/



Unburied- Murder 101-CD ( SelfMadeGod)

I know this will date me but I want to call this Splattercore mixed with Zombie Death Metal. I do see one of the Riddick Brothers are in this as well so the Gore and Zombie side of the Death metal spectrum is more then covered lol. This is full on assault the the musical sense I will say as with more Selfmadegod releases. They love the extreme in all they do. Also the artwork was done by Mark Riddick as he is an amazing talent in art as well. This has a very grind and hardcore side going on here. Sometimes again you just need a journey into sickness and with Unburied you know what you are getting equal parts The Accused, Obituary and Brutal Truth... So that means what folks.. It means its just that damn cool...

http://selfmadegod.com



Okular- Sexforce-CD ( Self Released)

So I know nothing of this band and I can say after two track this is a Prog Power metal band that loves Death metal and very Tech metal bands trying to put it all into one style and sound and it comes across as something that most could not do if they tried. It is a bit disjointed in the way its presented but when it does work this is a jaw dropping release. If Dream theater and Devin Townsend  put together a band with with Meshuggah members I really think you would have Okular in the way this as been done and present its just what I say it would be. I think with a few more releases this band will be what Opeth or Emperor where for the genres the groundbreaking swell that let the next wave of music come forward. Okular just have to much in their heads at once and with a bit more focus this will be Arcturus "La Masque" release for them. I look forward to the next album just being  OMG!!!!

www.okularmetal.com


Comments