Trillion Red Interview is up ...




1, For those that have not heard of this Experimental Post Metal Machine before . Tell us how you came to be..

Well, I suppose since I write everything it really all stems from my relationship with music. TR’s sound originates from when I started playing in a black/death band in the early 90’s called Nepenthe, later called Ligeia (in tribute to old Swedish death metal and our other favorite bands of the time). I guess you could say those are the roots of TR. In my late teens I got sick of the Metal scene and its lack of inspiration, drama, and creativity, so I put all that music and guitar aside and branched out to all different kinds of styles and sounds. I got into a lot of Delta Blues, Dark experimental Indie, Hardcore, Classical, Opera etc….12 years later, or about 5 years ago, I felt the urge to pick up the guitar and start writing again. So the sound of TR today is really my history with music. As for the members, Max and I meet about 2 years ago through Craigslist. He was the only drummer out of many that was interested. Most wanted to play in boring rehashed death, black, neo, post whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it metal bands that play ultra fast and have zero inspiration, or anything new to add (Crap we all call it, right?) Max and I click well. He brings a very cool style to the mix. It fits perfectly I think. He is not a metal drummer, nor is he any type of particular drummer. The beats he has created for the new album are fantastic! Much improved over the EP. At that time we were just trying to figure out each other’s styles. Now we have forged a common understanding that really streamlines our song building process, and things are just tighter and mo’better.


2. Your releasing and doing this all without support of a label.  Do you feel its important today to get a buzz 1st then look for label support?

My vision prior to releasing this EP was to get the buzz out and just see what happens. Various artists in the Bay Area advised that I didn’t need a label and could successfully promote on my own; and that labels would just rob you and not promote you yada yada yada….Well I bought into all that (as I think it is true in many cases), however, there are issues one most address that are sobering, like: going solo costs a shit load of money and time, and all labels aren’t necessarily bad guys and can do a lot for band. But to answer your question, I think you kinda have to get some buzz first to get a decent label.

3. Your New CDep has so many different styles going on from Metal to Prog to Hardcore to Post rock all with a futuristic element. Who are Trillion Red major musical influences?

The main ones that immediately come to mind for this particular EP are: Melt Banana, Jesu, Earth, Triptykon, Shiner (Lula Divinia), Samael (Worship Him), Calexico, Entombed/Nihilist (old stuff), Burzum, The Life and Times, Nels Cline, Pink Floyd (live in Pompeii), Beherit, Shostakovich, Chopin.

4. Your working with Clawhammer Pr but not on label how is that?? Is the leg work helping the are a major force now for may labels pr..

So far so good. Clawhammer is certainly getting TR a lot more press. I am using them both for promotion and to find a label. We just sent out a press release for labels. We’ll see what happens. I am happy with what has come so far.

5. What is a live show like ? I must be hard to sound like the songs on the album live there is so much going on do you even try?

A live show would be very possible if I had more fellas to lend a hand. If we had another guitarist, keyboardist, and a bass player, we could easily pull it off. But, we don’t, and I am not in a hurry to find anyone right now. Not that we are against playing live, but it is a very low priority for TR at this point. Just making music now is enough. The whole creation process from A – Z is something we are totally passionate about.

6. I know your looking for a proper label to release your full length. Are there any labels you would want to work with I know a few I think you would mesh well with but I like to know as a band do you have any labels in mind?

I sure would like to know what labels you think would mesh well, because I really don’t have a clue. What I am looking for is a label that has good bands (obviously), and one that is into releasing cool vinyl and cd packages. I am big on vinyl, especially ones that are packaged well. If done successfully, they are further artistic expressions of the band that have a tangible size to them, as opposed to MP3s or a cold simple CD with a plastic case, or worse, a simple paper jacket.

7. Your website http://www.trillionred.com/ is very minimalist, creepy and dark it seem to fit the bands vibe are you happy with the site . Its good to see a band not using facebook or myspace only. do you feel its important to have a proper website for bands?

Yeah, we are very happy with the site. Simplicity is of the essence. I think most people like sites that are quick, easily scanable, and functional, yet cool. Flash is nice, but it just slows page openings, and in this world, no one has the patience for that shit (at least I don’t). No load, well, off you fucking go! If a band has the means and cash to make a website, then they certainly should. I love using Myspace to vet new bands. It is a great tool for that! But Myspace in and of itself is an antiquated piece of shit. It just sucks and is very clunky. Really, any amount of exposure for a new band is a good thing.

8. Whats your thoughts on the digital age (Digital music, Webzine, Internet radio, Facebook, Twitter) do you think its a blessing or curse for bands in 2011 do you miss physical release, print mags and real college or indie radio ??

I think all these new digital tools are excellent tools for promotional purposes. I would not have found half that bands I have in my library now without the web. I have a blast searching it, reading reviews, listening to Myspace or whatever. 99% suck, but when you find that 1% gem, it is exhilarating and inspiring. Sure with new technologies, old systems become antiquated and slowly blow away in the wind, but now, the world of music doesn’t seem so isolated and lonely with all these recent tools readily at our disposal. Of course I can be nostalgic and harken back to the days in the early nineties when everything was done by tape trade and getting various obscure zines from Europe, but I prefer modernity. I don’t use Twitter, and don’t like Facebook, but we have a Facebook account. It just sits there all lonely and cold…

9. What does the newer material sound like is it similar to ep or has it gone into differ sound all together?

It is very similar to the EP. But this album will pull you in more directions then suddenly leave you hanging, then tear you right back into dense heaviness and then abandon you again. It will be heavier, and more concentric in approach I think. If you liked the EP, then you will really love the album. It is my hope that it will be one of those records that will never get old and timeless. Much much easier said than done.

10. Is there a theme or story line on " Two Tongues"?

Not a contiguous one. Perhaps a really general theme of blurred realities and distorted minds, and our failures as humans to remedy those social and cultural obstructions via laziness and/or self-defeatism.

11. Do you feel Trillion Red is more in the Metal or Experimental side for the music you create as I hear so much of both? Or are you creating your own sub genre all its own?

I really don’t know what ‘Experimental’ means. I am not trying to be flippant, but when I hear that word, I think of some guy that makes noise with very little melody and rhythm (basically not music), and calls it ‘Experimental’. Maybe I just haven’t heard enough of the genre to constitute something solid in my mind. As for Metal, yeah, with my background and influences, there are definitely big elements of Metal in my music. There always will be. I am a Metal Head at heart. Have been since I was a kid. But when I began writing again several years ago, I never ever once thought I had to write in any particular genre, style or sound. What you hear are simply things that have naturally come out of me without any preexisting ideas. When we finished this EP, we weren’t even sure what to call it. We had no clue, but just felt it was something new and cool.


12. thank you for the time any closing thoughts here

Thank you as well. I appreciate your time and the readers’.

You can buy the CD for $5 at www.trillionred.com
Purchase MP3s @ ITUNES, AMAZON and a bunch of other places.
The EP is streaming at:
Stereokiller: http://www.stereokiller.com/trillionRed
Myspace: www.myspace.com/trillionred

Comments