New Reviews 2/20/2010 @ Absolute Zero Media



http://www.bleiburg45.dark-transmission.de/assets/images/hh.jpg

Bleiburg- Indivisibiliter Ac Inseparabiliter-CD (Eastern Front)

MMMM this is very interesting in the fact it goes from Neoclassic to Trip hopish midevial folk music. I have not heard any vocals as of yet with the two track I'm listening to but there are clearly German wartime samples that come in and out of the 2nd track. The more I dig into this release its about the End of The Austrian / Hungarian Empire . I know I'm more then most likely not doing this project justice but If Changes and Death in June added sounds from Massive attack and Tricky to the style. You would have something very close here. As we move more along in the release we have a more Martial industrial/ Neo Classic straight attack of strings, drones, war drums and war cries / spoke word call to arms.. I can hear a strong love of Novy Svet and Spiritual Front with this project as well as I can hear too moments of
Ataraxia too. Over all this is a stunning release from the music to layout to just the presentation of how all the tracks are arranged. For my 2nd real step into Eastern front releases. I'm very impressed. Neo Folk CD's I have long forgotten may inspire my player again.

http://theeasternfront.org/



Arise of a bleeding rose

Gregorio Bardini & Gerstein- arise of a bleeding rose-CD (Eastern Front)

I don't know what quite to think of this release as its almost like an electro industrial martial project. I don't know if the electro dance beat work with the very very classic neo folk elements in the vocals and flutes and strings overlaying those beats. I'm going to give this a few tracks to see. Sometime I almost feel this project bands to be an old 80's No wave/ electro goth project IE. Joy Division and Love and Rockets ... The singer at times sounds like Peter Murphy then other times he sounds like Brendan Perry of Dead can dance... track 4 has a very dark Ethno Industrial vibe about it I'm really like this track. I hope to hear more of this very impressive. This whole synth pop with Martial elements is really grating on me there are some great Idea's here just not enough to make me want to listen to them a 3rd or more times. There is just too much of mash up going on here and its everywhere. I get the same feeling I got with People like US releases or Negativeland there there are flashes of greatness in a sea of just way too annoying.

http://theeasternfront.org/


http://www.prophecyproductions.de/cache/939a77eedaef16a3a75aa49aeedcba43.jpg

LES DISCRETS- Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées-CD (Prophecy Productions)

This is really the sound as of late that has been what France Avant Metal or Post metal bands have been getting known for. I love this mix of styles and sounds. Les Discrets are just that a mix of Emperor, Opeth, Arcturus, Mogwai and My Bloody Valentine all in one glorious burst of sound and awe. The guitars are massive and verb filled the vocals are almost operatic in nature but still have the choir like metal sound that Emperor made so classic. The strings and bass fill the tracks with a very homelike feeling that you are sitting infront of the fires waiting for your loved ones to come home and join you in a wonderful winters night. The prog elements come in the drumming and arrangements of the tracks. Septembre reminds me of 1st Alcest and the 1st Two Old Dead tree releases. Both French bands and majestic in there own rights. I really feel this band has a strong love for Dan Swano , Devin Townsend and Mike of Opeth. As the songs are created in such a mature manner and every sound seems to be needed to be in right place or they will just fall apart. Bands like this let the Bleak and Sorrow filled tunes speak as there is just a taste of hope and promise in each riff to never fall into the full goth layers but its oh so close. Les Descrets is a fantastic new addition to an already overly impressive roster of Prophecy Production. A must listen..
http://prophecyproductions.de/

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/6/0/7/260741.jpg

The Breathing Process-Odyssey Undead-CD (Seige of Amida/Candlelight USA)

Modern Black Death metal I guess you would call what Breathing Process. I hear almost of Melodic Nu Death metal elements mixed with Grind and Black metal . Its almost like if Morbid Angel, Dimmu Borgir and Kill Switch Engage all in one very powerful and massive sounding band to say the least. There are a lot similar elements to The Breathing Process and Abigail Williams in the flowing guitars, synths and the death vox presented here. The Breathing Process also adds in a few industrial elements never to over kill the sound but in the same way Strapping young lad did just to make the sound futuristic and a bit more machine like in the overall presentation. Odyssey Undead has a very prog sounding organ element from time to time that reminds me of Amorphis or Moontower by Dan Swano.. This is by no means a one trick pony . The Breathing Process is a complex and compelling listen that challenges the listener with Clean and Death vocals, melodic vs brutallic riffs , Prog and Symphonic pieces and a classical edge all in the tracks the come forth from this release. Take a chance this will impress you I think....

http://candlelightrecordingsusa.com/


Lair of the Minotaur- Evil Power-CD (Grindhouse/Southern Lord)

For a thrashing good time call 1800 Minotaur that what this who release should say. As this band to me reminds me of the 80/90's dirty side of thrash metal from California and Germany. Lair of the Minotaur is fueled on Booze, Broads and Badass Riffs. They remind me of Cathedral at times as this voice is so close to Lee Dorian. If this comes across as odd so be it but do any of you have Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love reaction releases well Lair of the Minotaur remind me full on of a more pissed off version of them with heavy doses of Coroner and Venom thrown in for good measure... This band is so DIY they have even started there own label to release there Cds and other bands they like called Grind House helped by the mighty Southern Lord label.. Lair of the Minotaur is METAL as METAL can be its that .. Do you really need more don't be a pussy and get this as its just plain ASS KICKING !!!!!!

http://www.thegrind-houserecords.com/



http://www.ares-kingdom.com/images/releases/AresKingdom-Incendiary-CoverSmall.jpg

Ares Kingdom-Incendiary-CD (Nuclear War Now)

Classic Thrash mixed with the Dawn of Death metal on the field with a flag for the original Black metal guard. Incendiary is fast, raw, angry and most of all METAL!!!! I love the old school throaty thrash metal vocals. Ares Kingdom has hooks and riffs that go on for miles as well. Makes me want to get the denim jacket out make it into a vest and plaster patches all over the SOB!!!!. The solos are so 80's thrash metal too with the split/ dueling leads and these guitarist know how to shred let me tell ya. Nuclear War Now I know almost nothing over but if there harboring the classic thrash and death metal sound in there labels roster I really need to hear more. These kind of releases always put a smile to my face. Ares Kingdom must be amazing like or at least I hope so as great thrash is so rare together. There is even an instrumental track on here HORNS UP for that. Ares Kingdom is a essential Metal listen enough said....

http://www.nwnprod.com/


Comments